Sunday, May 25, 2014

FIRE IN THE SKY: The Latest Incidents Across The Globe - Fireball Over Brasilia, Brazil And Meteor Over Saitama, Japan!

May 25, 2014 -  SPACE -  The following constitutes the latest reports of fireballs seen in the skies across the globe.

Fireball Over Brasilia, Brazil
And with the camera pointed to just 10 degrees above the horizon, hoping to capture some Meteor Camelopardalis stray, behold, caught a bolide in a unexpected elevation, fighting light pollution to display:


Carlos Augusto Di Pietro‎- BRAMON - Brazilian Meteor Observation Network


- Lunar Meteorite Hunters.


Meteor Over Saitama, Japan
ts007

SonotaCo Meteor Forum with more photos and orbit calculation, etc link located here.


- Lunar Meteorite Hunters.



PROTESTS & SOCIETAL COLLAPSE: Brazilian Government Mobilize 157,000 Security Force For World Cup - As Anger Increases Over Wealth Disparities!

May 25, 2014 -  BRAZIL - Brazil said Friday it is mobilizing 157,000 soldiers and police to ensure security during the World Cup, which opens in 20 days against a backdrop of violent protests and strikes.


Soldiers take part in a ceremony presenting the troops who will provide security during the World Cup at Brigadier
Sampaio Camp in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Monday, May 12, 2014. Rio de Janeiro is one of the host cities for the 2014
World Cup soccer tournament that starts on June 12. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)


The defense ministry said it would provide 57,000 navy, army and air force personnel for the event, including 21,000 who will be on a state of alert for situations requiring immediate intervention.

The ministry has invested 709 million reais ($322 million) since 2012 in modernizing its forces and preparing them for the tournament, which runs from June 12 to July 13.

Justice Minister Jose Eduardo Cardozo said he did not believe the recent string of demonstrations and strikes across Brazil would escalate to the level of protests that gripped the country last year during the Confederations Cup, a World Cup dress rehearsal.

Those protests drew a million people into the street and turned violent at times, embarrassing the tournament's organizers.


Police officers stand guard as demonstrators march in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on May 22, 2014
(AFP Photo/Vanderlei Almeida )

In this Thursday, May 22, 2014 photo, a member of the Homeless Workers Movement holds a banner that reads in
Portuguese; "Dwelling" at a protest against money spent on the World Cup preparations, in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Security
is being beefed up with the government setting aside about $856 million and preparing 157,000 soldiers and police
to help citizens and visitors stay safe during the monthlong tournament. Continued protests are expected against
the amount of money being shelled out to host are event. But authorities say they don’t anticipate they’ll be
as intense as those seen during last year’s Confederations Cup. (AP Photo/Andre Penner)

"Our feeling is that (the protests) will be smaller than the ones last June. But, sincerely speaking, we are prepared for any situation," Cardozo told journalists at a joint press conference with Defense Minister Celso Amorim.

The protesters are angry over the more than $11 billion being spent to host the World Cup in a country with glaring inequality and pressing needs in education, health care, housing and transport.

The security forces will be spread among the 12 host cities and state capitals Vitoria, Aracaju and Maceio, which will all have base camps for teams playing in the tournament.

The military will also work with police to secure the enormous South American country's 16,800 kilometers (10,400 miles) of borders.


TOUCHPOINT: This infographic highlights Brazil's top expenditures for hosting the 2014 FIFA World Cup event.

The anti-World Cup protests have shrunk in numbers since last year, but have also grown more radical.

As the tournament approaches, a series of police strikes -- plus the threat of a nationwide strike by federal police -- have also raised concerns about security in a country with one of the world's worst crime rates.

Around three million Brazilians and 600,000 foreign tourists are expected to attend the World Cup. - Yahoo.



PLAGUES & PESTILENCES: MERS Contagion - 23 Orlando Hospital Workers Cleared After Treating MERS Patient As Saudi Arabia And UAE Report 6 MERS Cases!

May 25, 2014 -  HEALTH - Orlando Health officials say all of the 23 health care workers who were exposed to the MERS, or Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome virus, have been cleared to return to work after negative test results.




Health officials required testing for all physicians and workers at Dr. P. Phillips Hospital and Orlando Regional Medical Center that treated the Saudi Arabian man who contracted the virus.

The 23 workers were forced to stay home for the full 14-day incubation period of the virus.

The 44-year-old patient being treated at the hospital for MERS was released from the hospital earlier this week after testing negative for the virus.

Officials said there is no concern that the virus would spread in Central Florida. - Click Orlando.


Saudi Arabia, UAE Report 6 MERS Cases
Skyline of Abu Dhabi, home to all 3 new UAE cases.
brightstorm / iStockphoto

Six more MERS-CoV cases were reported today, three each in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), as the springtime surge of illnesses continued, though at a more modest pace than it showed through most of April and early May.

Also today, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) appealed for an urgent increase in research on MERS-CoV (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus) in animals, including a systematic hunt for animal and environmental sources of human infections.

Cases in Saudi hot spots


Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Health (MOH) reported one MERS case each in Jeddah, Mecca, and Medina, three cities that have seen plenty of MERS activity lately.

The cases involve a 46-year-old man in Jeddah with no symptoms, a 19-year-old man with diabetes who is in an intensive care unit in Mecca, and a 20-year-old woman in Medina with no symptoms. The 46-year-old and the woman had contact with other MERS patients; both are in home isolation.

The 19-year-old apparently acquired his infection in the hospital, as he was hospitalized for other medical reasons on May 17 and experienced respiratory symptoms May 23.

The MOH also reported one death in a previous case, that of a 34-year-old man in Jeddah whose illness was reported Apr 24. Four other MERS patients were released from hospitals in Mecca and Riyadh today.
Today's report raises Saudi Arabia's MERS count to 554 cases and 178 deaths.

WHO details UAE cases


The new cases in the UAE were reported today by the World Health Organization (WHO), following its receipt of a report from UAE officials 2 days ago. All three cases were in Abu Dhabi.

One case is in a 71-year-old man who has several preexisting illnesses and has been hospitalized since Feb 11, the WHO reported. He got sick with a fever on May 4 and tested positive for MERS-CoV 3 days later. He had had contact with another MERS case-patient, a 39-year-old female healthcare worker whose case was reported to the WHO on May 11.

The second case involved a 26-year-old man whose infection was detected on May 8 through general screening at his (unnamed) workplace, though he had had no exposure to other MERS patients and no symptoms on the day of screening. He had had contact with cows and sheep but not camels, nor had he consumed any raw camel products, the WHO said. For isolation purposes, he was hospitalized from May 8 to 14.

In the third case, a 36-year-old man got sick on May 2 and was hospitalized 5 days later, the WHO said. He tested positive on May 9 and then recovered and was released May 12. He had preexisting illnesses, but he had no exposure to other MERS patients, animals, or raw camel products.

The three infections raise the WHO's MERS count to 635 cases with 193 deaths. The number includes 17 cases that Saudi Arabia reported from May 16 to 18.

Meanwhile, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) today put its own MERS count at 658 cases and 204 deaths. The numbers are listed in the agency's weekly Communicable Disease Threats Report.

The ECDC count, which doesn't include the latest Saudi cases, lists the Saudi tally at 541 cases and 160 deaths. It shows the UAE as having 67 cases and 9 deaths, the second-highest totals.

FAO wants more animal research


The FAO's call for more MERS-CoV research came after a regional technical consultation in Oman, the agency said in a statement today.

Participants noted the recent increase in cases in the Arabian Peninsula and the suspicion that camels are the primary source of human cases, the FAO said. The experts recommended:
  • Raising public awareness of MERS-CoV
  • Urgent investment in research and surveillance of animals
  • A systematic search for potential sources of human infection from animal sources or the environment
  • Joint efforts and coordination among public health authorities
Many camels in the Middle East carry the virus or have antibodies that suggest past exposure to it, but no one has yet figured out exactly how it spreads from camels to humans. Experts have been calling for case-control investigations and other studies to help answer that question and related ones.

"There is an urgent need to focus investigations on the epidemiology of MERS-CoV in animal species, to prevent human primary infections and to avoid putting other people in danger," Juan Lubroth, DVM, PhD, the FAO's chief veterinary officer, said in today's statement.

"By better understanding the epidemiology, we can provide the necessary guidelines to avoid spillover from animals to humans and protect the camel or other animal industries from potential negative consequences," he said.

In addition to more research, the FAO called for several steps to help limit the spread of MERS-CoV:
  • Increased biosecurity precautions at farms and border crossings
  • An emphasis on personal hygiene for people who work with livestock
  • Greater region-wide information sharing and closer coordination to manage risks posed by the movement of livestock
  • Possible use of animal passports or certificates for racing camels
  • Engagement of the private sector, such as racing associations, breeding enterprises, and meat-packing operations
Participants in the technical meeting included the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), the WHO, the Gulf Cooperation Council, and experts who are currently collaborating with researchers and authorities of the region, the FAO said.

The meeting also drew public health and veterinary authorities and other specialists from a dozen countries: Ethiopia, Egypt, Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.

OIE camel report


In other news, Omani officials submitted to the OIE a report on MERS-CoV infections in five camels, which appears to match a media report published 2 days ago about five infected racing camels in the country. Both appear to match up with a Eurosurveillance report that was published Apr 24 and described the detection of MERS-CoV in 5 of 76 camels from around Oman.

The new OIE report said the camels had no clinical signs of illness and that humans with exposure to the camels were tested and found free of the virus. Testing was done by the University of Veterinary Medicine in Vienna.

Oman has had two human MERS cases, according to today's ECDC communicable disease report. - CIDRAP.



MASS SHOOTINGS: "When Will This Insanity Stop" - Hollywood Director's Son Murders 6 Innocent People And Injures 13 Others, Before Killing Himself In A Senseless California Massacre?!

May 25, 2014 -  CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES - A 22-year-old gunman, who killed six people before taking his own life in California, was the son of a Hollywood director. Elliot Rodger stabbed three people to death and then shot another three near the campus of the University of California.


Elliot Rodger.

Rodger opened fire on bystanders from his car and then on foot, which eventually ended when he killed himself after a shootout with police. The incident happened in the town of Isla Vista, near Santa Barbara. Aside from the six people he killed, 13 people were also injured in the attack, including eight who were shot.

Police are now studying a YouTube video that shows a young man identifying himself as Elliot Rodger. The video had been posted hours before the shooting spree. During the clip, the young man demonstrates his hatred of women and popular kids.


WATCH:  Elliot Rodger - "Life is so unfair because girls dont want me."

 

WATCH:  Elliot Rodger - "Lonely vlog, life is so unfair."




"You girls have never been attracted to me. I don't know why you girls aren't attracted to me. But I will punish you all for it. It's an injustice, a crime," he said in the video, his speech punctuated by bursts of laughter. The clip has since been removed from YouTube.

In addition to the video, the 22 year-old had prepared a 141-page manifesto laying out his plan for the killings, starting with luring potential victims to his apartment.


Map locates Isla Vista, California shooting.;
1c x 4 inches; 46.5 mm x 101 mm;

"It's obviously the work of a madman," Sheriff Bill Brown told a news conference, adding the community college student had been seen by a variety of healthcare professionals and that it was "very, very apparent he was severely mentally disturbed."

Rodger was the son of the assistant director Peter Rodger, who helped make the film ‘Hunger Games’. It is understood that members of Rodger’s family were concerned about his well being and had asked the police to check up on him. He was interviewed by the authorities, but they found him to be polite and not a potential threat, so no further action was taken.

"He expressed to deputies he was having difficulties with his social life and would probably not be returning to school within the next year," Brown said, adding that deputies determined he did not meet the criteria to be held involuntarily on mental health grounds.

Rodger’s killing spree appeared to have started in his apartment, where he stabbed three men to death. He then went to a sorority house and knocked on the door repeatedly, but no one let him in, Brown added. Not long afterwards, witnesses reported seeing Rodger shoot three young women outside the house, two of whom died.

He later drove off to a nearby delicatessen and shot a young man before fleeing in his car and shooting at pedestrians and the police.


UC Santa Barbara students attend a candlelight vigil following Friday's series of drive-by shootings that left 7 people
dead in the Isla Vista section of Santa Barbara May 24, 2014. (Reuters / Jonathan Alcorn)

A woman places a flowers at a makeshift shrine outside a deli that was one of nine crime scenes after series of drive-by
shootings that left 7 people dead in the Isla Vista section of Santa Barbara May 24, 2014. (Reuters / Jonathan Alcorn)

A man looks through a window with bullet holes at a deli that was one of nine crime scenes after series of drive -by
shootings that left 7 people dead in the Isla Vista section of Santa Barbara May 24, 2014. (Reuters / Jonathan Alcorn)

parishioners, others mourning victims of Friday’s rampage
@ladailynews

In this image provided by KEYT-TV, bodies are seen covered on the ground after a mass shooting near the campus of
the University of Santa Barbara in Isla Vista, Calif., Friday, May 23, 2014. A drive-by shooter went on a "mass murder"
rampage near the Santa Barbara university campus that left seven people dead, including the attacker, and seven
others wounded, authorities said Saturday. (AP Photo/KEYT, John Palminteri)

Authorities found three legally-purchased semiautomatic guns, two Sig Sauers and a Glock, and more than 400 rounds of ammunition in his car.

Christopher Michael-Martinez was the final victim. His father Richard Martinez was quick to blame the National Rifle Association (NRA).

"Why did Chris die? Chris died because of craven, irresponsible politicians and the NRA," Martinez told reporters outside the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office, close to collapsing from emotion. "They talk about gun rights, what about Chris' right to live? When will this insanity stop?"


The NRA supports the right to own and carry firearms, saying responsible gun owners should not be punished for mass shootings.

In December 2012, 20 children and six adults were killed at an elementary school in Connecticut; six months after a gunman had killed 14 people in a Colorado movie theater.

The worst US mass shooting in modern times was in 2007, when a student at Virginia Tech killed 32 people. - RT.